Specialization Tracks

A track should comprise of a minimum of 4 technical electives (12-18 credits) with an underlying connection to a specific area of materials science and engineering.  No more than one 200-level course will be approved for a track.  Students are strongly encouraged to select 300 level or higher courses for their track.  For BS/MS students, graduate courses maybe included in a track, but any such courses cannot count towards graduate course requirements. 

With the rapid expansion of the technical and scientific knowledge in the field of materials science, we believe that organizing technical electives into thematic tracks will benefit you, the student. Combined with relevant co-op experiences and senior design, the tracks can provide strong evidence of specialization which will benefit you in your future job searches.

Please note that the term schedule listed for the courses are subject to change depending on class enrollment and faculty availability.  All track forms must to be approved by Dr. Christopher Weyant and a copy given to Sarit Kunz, Academic Program Coordinator. 

More Information

When should I choose my track?

Technical electives can be taken during the junior and mostly during the senior year. For planning reasons, better coordination with Senior Design, and to accommodate students with an out-of-cycle schedule (e.g. transfers), tracks need to be declared by the beginning of the pre-junior year.  Students may change their track selection after consulting with their advisor.  Please bring a copy of the track selection form with you when you meet with your advisor.

Where can I learn more about a professor's research?

Check out our faculty research profiles, visit our research group sites, or email them directly!

Can I "jump" tracks?

In the same way that Drexel's co-op program is designed to help a student find his or her fit in industry, the MSE track program is designed to help a student find his or her concentration within the field of materials. Switching tracks is possible, but needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis. Permission for this must be obtained by an academic faculty advisor.

How do these changes affect BS/MS students?

B.S./M.S. students are encouraged to choose a track that fits in with their Master's research. The track program should have no effect on the courses required.

Some suggested courses have prerequisites!

Students should review prerequisite requirements and, where necessary, discuss waivers with the corresponding instructor.