Published on Sunday February 1, 2009
Dr. Michel Barsoum has been named the A. W. Grosvenor Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, as of November 2008. This position recognizes his professional accomplishments and personal efforts in development of the materials program at Drexel.
This named professorship honors our Department's founder, A. W. "Doc" Grosvenor, who set the standard for dedicated faculty to maintain the high quality of education and research for which we are well known. "Doc" began his career at Drexel in the Mechanical Engineering Department in 1930. He assumed leadership of the Metallurgical Engineering Department at its inception in 1947. The first class of metallurgical engineers, totaling 3, graduated in 1950. At that time, the department consisted of three faculty members with "Doc's" wife doing the sample preparation. "Doc" retired in 1965 and in 1977 was awarded an Honorary Degree from Drexel University.
The Department's first Grosvenor Professor was Professor Harry Rogers. He held the title until his retirement in December 1991, when Professor Alan Lawley was appointed as such. Following Lawley's retirement, Professor Roger Doherty became the Grosvenor Professor in 2004. Whereas previously the position was held until retirement, the appointment will now last for a period of five years, after which it will be reevaluated.