Published on Tuesday June 14, 2011
MSE honored its 2011 graduates with a commencement dinner on Thursday, June 9th at the University Club just prior to commencement ceremonies held on Friday, June 10th in the John A. Daskalakis Athletic Center.
In addition to recognizing all graduating B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. students at the dinner, select faculty, staff, and students were honored with their contributions to the department during the 2010-2011 academic year.
Department of Materials Science and Engineering Faculty and Staff Awards
Outstanding Research Award
Outstanding Service Award
Outstanding Teaching Award
Outstanding Staff Award
Outstanding Graduate Student Award
- Amalie Donius (advisor: Ulrike Wegst)
- Gerard Klinzing (advisor: Antonios Zavaliangos)
Outstanding Undergraduate Student Award
- Amanda Pentecost (advisor: Yury Gogotsi)
Doctor of Philosophy Degree
- "Vibration and Flow Energy Harvesting Using Piezoelectric Cantilevers"
- Supervising Professor: Wei-Heng Shih
- Current Position: Research Engineer; Saint-Gobain Research (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.; Shanghai, China
- "Solute Enhanced Strain Hardening of Aluminum Alloys to Achieve Improved Combinations of Strength and Toughness"
- Supervising Professors: Roger Doherty and Surya Kalidindi
- Current Position: Materials Engineer (Metallurgist); Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAVAIR); Patuxent River, MD
- "A Rational Design Approach to Nanostructured Catalysts for the Oxidation of Carbon Monoxide"
- Supervising Professor: Yury Gogotsi
- Current Position: Research Chemist; US Army; Edgewood Chemical Biological Center, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD
- "Characterization of In-Situ Curing PVA/PEG Hydrogels for Nucleus Pulposus Replacement"
- Supervising Professor: Anthony Lowman
- Current Position: Materials Science Engineer; Synthes; West Chester, PA
Murat Erdem Kurtoglu
- "Effect of Doping on the Photocatalytic Electronic and Mechanical Properties of TiO2 Films"
- Supervising Professor: Yury Gogotsi
- Current Position: Postdoctoral Fellow; Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); Cambridge, MA
- "A Novel Spectral Approach to Multi-Scale Modeling"
- Supervising Professor: Surya Kalidindi
- Current Position: Project Engineer; SKF USA Inc., SKF Industrial Division; Kulpsville, PA
Christopher Thomas Schade
- "Processing, Microstructures and Properties of a Dual Phase Precipitation Hardening PM Stainless Steel"
- Supervising Professors: Roger Doherty and Alan Lawley
- Current Position: Manager-Pilot Plants; Hoeganaes Corporation; Cinnaminson, NJ
Students from other departments being supervised by MSE Faculty
Eric Michael Gallo
- "Gallium Arsenide Based Metal-Semiconductor-Metal Devices and Detectors"
- Supervising Professor: Jonathan Spanier
- Current Position: NSF-ASEE Postdoctoral Research Fellow; Structured Materials Industries, Inc.; Piscataway, NJ
Master of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
Edward M. Anderson, Jr. (BS/MS)
Christopher Michael Barr (BS/MS)
Jon Burger (BS/MS)
Michael Thomas Coster (BS/MS)
Andrew William Devillier (BS/MS)
Kevin Daniel Joye
David Leslie Miller (BS/MS)
Mohamed Mahmoud Shamma
Derrick M. Smith (BS/MS)
Carly Lynn Snyder (BS/MS)
Christopher Stanislawczyk (BS/MS)
Schraddha Jagadishbhai Vachhani
Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Engineering
Edward M. Anderson, Jr. (Summa Cum Laude)
Christopher Michael Barr (Cum Laude)
Jon Burger (Summa Cum Laude)
Cale T. Buxton
James Francis Coffey (Magna Cum Laude)
Michael Thomas Coster (Cum Laude)
Andrew William Devillier
William Edward Frazier III (Magna Cum Laude)
Sherif Aly Madkour
Jesse David McGrath
David Leslie Miller (Magna Cum Laude; Kappa Theta Epsilon)
Farrah Brooke Moldover
Prineha Narang (Magna Cum Laude)
Garrett David Pritchyk
Bryant G. Richardson
Michael E. Scesa
Derrick M. Smith (Cum Laude)
Carly Lynn Snyder (Cum Laude)